The Medicines Patent Pool is looking for a New Board Member
Research & Development (R&D) Biopharma Industry Expert
1. Background information
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), the French Government, and the German Government.
2. Governance Board collective responsibilities
The Governance Board is the supreme governing body of the Foundation and possesses the highest and most extensive authority concerning decision-making and administration of the Foundation. In particular, the Governance Board:
- Appoints Governance Board members;
- Sets policies and strategies for the Foundation and adopts and amends its By-laws, subject to prior approval of the Supervisory Board, and other internal guidelines and procedures necessary for the administration and management of the Foundation;
- Sets operational guidelines, work plans as well as financial and business planning;
- Determines the employment terms, appoints and, if necessary, replaces the Executive Director;
- Establishes a framework for monitoring and periodic independent evaluation of performance and financial accountability of activities of the Foundation;
- Advocates for the Foundation and mobilises resources;
- Approves the annual accounts;
- Appoints the External Auditors;
- Appoints the outside legal counsel;
- Enters into, executes and/or authorises the execution of agreements as required to carry out the purposes of the Foundation.
More information on the roles and responsibilities of the Governance Board and its procedures is available in the Statutes and in the By-laws of MPP at https://medicinespatentpool.org/who-we-are/statutes-by-laws-policies
3. Required profile of skills and expertise
In addition to the skills associated with the core responsibilities to be performed by the Governance Board collectively, MPP is actively seeking an R&D Biopharma Industry Expert with a solid professional background in the field. The ideal candidate will play a crucial role in providing the Board with essential insights into pharmaceutical practices and commercial strategies, actively contributing to and supporting MPP’s mission to enhance equitable access to innovative medicines and health technologies through public health-oriented voluntary licensing and technology transfer. A prerequisite for this role is significant experience in biotherapeutics within the pharmaceutical industry. Additionally, the ideal candidate should demonstrate a good understanding of the MPP model.
4. Additional information
Governance Board members serve in their personal capacity and appointments are made in accordance with article 7.2 of the MPP’s Statutes. Board members have to abide by MPP general policies. More on MPP policies: https://medicinespatentpool.org/who-we-are/statutes-by-laws-policies/
5. Time commitment
Board members serve a three-year term renewable twice. The work of the Governance Board is supported by four sub-committees and Board members are generally asked to serve on two committees each. Committees usually meet virtually twice a year ahead of Board meetings for approximately 1-2 hours. Board meetings are normally convened twice a year. The May Board meeting usually takes place face-to-face (all expenses paid) while the November Board meeting takes place virtually. Teleconferences may be organised in between, as required.
6. Application process
To apply please send your CV and cover letter outlining your relevant experience, expertise and interest in joining the Board to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Governance Board candidate nomination – R&D Biopharma Industry Expert”. We encourage interested candidates to apply at their earliest convenience, as we will be considering applications on an ongoing basis. The first round of review is scheduled for the second half of January 2024. You may also suggest someone in writing to the same email address and using the same subject line.
A list of suitable candidates will be compiled by the MPP Management and reviewed by the Governance committee in the first instance. Interviews will take place before a Board decision can be made.
MPP is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity on its Board.