MPP is pleased to announce its official affiliation with UNPRI as a network supporter
17 May 2023
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is pleased to announce its official affiliation with the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI) as a network supporter. This partnership reinforces MPP’s commitment to sustainable and responsible investment practices, aligning with its mission to address global health challenges and promote equitable access to life-saving treatments.
As a network supporter of UNPRI, MPP joins a diverse community of investors, asset managers, and service providers committed to incorporating environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into their investment decisions, in line with the six principles of responsible investment:
- We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- We will report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
This collaboration underlines MPP’s dedication to health equity, transparency, and promoting long-term sustainable access solutions for the pharmaceutical industry.
By endorsing the UNPRI framework, MPP will engage with signatory investors to align on strategies to enable access to essential medicines in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). This partnership will enable MPP to contribute further to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and amplify efforts to increase access to affordable, high quality medicines for those in need in LMICs.
By joining forces with UNPRI, we aim to leverage our expertise and influence to drive positive change in the pharmaceutical industry and advance global health equity.
MPP has a proven track record of collaboration with governments, industry partners, civil society organisations, and other stakeholders to facilitate the licensing of essential medicines, including antiretrovirals for HIV treatment and other priority health products. With this new partnership, MPP will strengthen its advocacy for responsible investment practices, encouraging stakeholders to prioritise affordable access to medicines, technological innovation, and social sustainability.
For more information about the Medicines Patent Pool and its commitment to responsible investment, click here.