Request for proposals – MPP Statutory Auditors
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is calling for proposals from external, independent and qualified audit firms to conduct the audit of its financial statements for the fiscal year ending December 31st, 2021, with the possibility of reappointment for subsequent years through December 31st, 2025. These audits are to be conducted in accordance with the Swiss law and the Swiss auditing standards. The financial statements are to be prepared in accordance with the Swiss Generally Accepted Accounting Principles FER 21(Swiss GAAP FER 21) applicable to non-profit organisation.
2. About the Medicines Patent Pool
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries.
Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations.
To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
The MPP team is composed of 33 highly qualified professionals located in Geneva Switzerland (28) and in Mumbai India (5). The size of the team is regularly increasing both in Geneva and in Mumbai.
The Financial Statements are available in our Annual Report that are published on our website here
3. Scope of work
These audits are to be conducted in accordance with the Swiss law and the Swiss auditing standards which require that an audit be planned and performed to obtain reasonable assurance whether the financial statements are free from material misstatement and whether an internal control system exists in accordance with article 728b CO. The objective of the audit is to express an opinion, as to whether the financial statements of MPP present fairly the financial position, results of operations and changes in cash flow in accordance with the Swiss GAAP FER 21. The management will prepare the financial statements that will be subject to audit, and these statements will be available to the auditor. MPP is subject to a limited statutory examination.
During the engagement, the auditor should assess the risks of material misstatement of the financial statements, whether due to fraud or error. In making those risk assessments, the auditor will consider the internal control system relevant to the entity’s preparation of the financial statements. The auditors will report:
- Any significant or unusual transactions entered into by MPP that Management and/or the Board of Directors should be made aware of;
- Any deficiencies in internal controls that are of sufficient importance to merit the attention of Management and/or the Board of Directors;
- Any disagreements with Management about matters which are significant to the organisation’s financial statements;
- Any lack of compliance with the Finance Policy and the Internal Control System;
- Any lack of compliance with financial or other relevant legislation; and/or
- Any lack of accountability in the use and management of MPP’s assets.
Any such instances should be reported in the management letter.
This RFP is for one year with options, in favour of the Governance Board, to extend annually for up to four more years. Subject to changes in dates, the expected deliverables will be the same each year.
4. Expected Deliverables
The Vendor will adhere to all guidelines, timelines and requests specified in this RFP.
Deliverables include but are not limited to:
- Prepare an audit report and a management letters (comprehensive report) in a format consistent with Swiss GAAP FER 21;
- Discuss the audit report and management letters with Management prior to their distribution;
- Meet audit or reporting requirement dates as set out below;
- Provide a management letter that identifies areas of concern or weaknesses found, recommendations for improvement, and management’s response on any concerns identified;
- Schedule in-person meetings to present the audit report to the MPP Governance Board
The expected key dates and key deliverables for the year ending December 31, 2021 and timing relating to the audit are as follows:
This timing should be considered indicative only:
5. Procurement process
The proposal must include:
- Presentation of the company and the dedicated team
- Description of similar services provided to other Swiss Foundation / International Organisation / Non-profit Organisation
- Detailed fees in CHF
The criteria that will be used to review the different offers will be:
- Credentials: level of expertise
- Requirement’s fulfilment
- Support availability
- Cost effectiveness
6. How to submit proposal
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “RFP – Statutory Auditors” with your proposal and quote by 30 June 2021.
Feel free to contact Muriel Lacombe if you require additional information:
Muriel Lacombe | Finance and Administration Manager | Medicines Patent Pool
Tel: +41 22 533 50 53 | Mob: +41 79 945 81 10