Call for applications – Head of Operations and Resources
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Working time: 100%
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations.
To date, MPP has signed agreements with 15 patent holders for 13 HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals, a tuberculosis treatment, two long-acting technologies, two experimental oral antiviral treatments for COVID-19 and a COVID-19 serological antibody diagnostic test.
MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MPP’s activities in COVID-19 are undertaken with the financial support of the Japanese Government, the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, and SDC.
The Head of Operations and Resources at MPP will oversee the operationalisation of the organisation’s strategy, its implementation and the mobilisation of the necessary financial and human resources, including monitoring and reporting and management of relations with funders. The Head of Operations and Resources is a member of the Senior Management Team.
The position reports to the Executive Director.
Operations and Grants management
- Supporting the Executive Director and the Head of Policy, Market Access and Strategy in the overall development, planning and implementation of the MPP’s public health mission and strategy.
- Developing the implementation plan for the 2023-25 strategy.
- Creation of the Resource Mobilisation Plan in line with the Strategic Plan.
- Leading the management of donor relations and funding opportunities, managing existing grants and preparing reports, under the supervision of the Executive Director.
- Leading the operational planning of the organisation including the preparation of management and team meetings, internal monitoring reports, and internal KPI report working system in close collaboration with the Executive Director and Management Team.
- Leading the MPP’s annual planning process and ensure that it remains aligned to donor timelines and expectations.
- Leading on MPP’s risk management.
- Supporting the Executive Director in liaising with the MPP’s Governance Board and organising the Governance Board meetings.
- Directing and supervising the work of the Operations Team, currently 2,5 FTEs.
Internal controls and finance
- Managing the Finance team (2 FTEs).
- Ensuring the robustness and accuracy of the MPP internal controls system and its application within the organisation in a context of public fundings.
- Ensuring the accuracy of the different budgets of MPP and the reasonable funding of MPP activities as per its strategic plan.
- Liaising with the statutory auditors, grantor’s finance representatives and the Governance Board Finance and Management Committee.
- Overseeing the legal compliance of MPP offices with the support of the legal workstream.
- Managing the HR team (1FTE).
- Ensuring the well-being and efficiency of the MPP team while monitoring the allocation of Human Resources to the different activities.
- Participating in the recruitment processes.
- Identifying short-term and long-term IT needs, develop the appropriate IT strategy in collaboration with all MPP work streams and IT consultants.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The Head of Operations and Resources must have:
- Strategic understanding of public health issues.
- Planning and coordination skills, including resource allocation.
- Risk management skills.
- In-depth understanding of the resource mobilisation landscape in which the MPP operates.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong and demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- Capacity to have long term vision of the goals and objectives.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with building and managing budgets.
- Knowledge of Swiss Gaap FER (core FER) and HR practices, a strong asset.
- Organised, autonomous and able to work with short timelines and new operational areas.
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork.
- Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles.
- Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of the MPP.
Education and special training
- University degree or equivalent qualification in business administration or related field.
- Qualification in Public Health a strong asset.
Experience (length and nature)
- Experience and knowledge in public health is essential and experience of issues related to access to medicines and intellectual property would be desirable.
- Demonstrated experience working in program management, Board/shareholders support and resource mobilisation.
- At least 10 – 15 years of management experience with relevant leading role in a non.for-profit organisation.
Use of Languages
- Native-level fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Oral and written proficiency in another official UN language is an advantage.
The MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment.
Place of Work
This post is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Suitable candidates are requested to send a C.V. along with a cover letter to:
firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Head of operations and resources_MPP” as reference in the subject line.