Call for applications – Communications Officer
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Working time: 100%
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with eleven patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals, a tuberculosis treatment, a long-acting technology and two experimental oral antiviral treatment for COVID-19. In 2020, MPP’s mandate was temporarily expanded to include COVID-19 treatments. In 2021 it was expanded further to include the licensing of technology with an initial focus on COVID-19 vaccines and pandemic preparedness. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MPP’s activities in COVID-19 are undertaken with the financial support of the Japanese Government and SDC.
The Communications Officer supports the Head of Communications and Communications Managers in the smooth running of MPP’s communications’ department and in implementing MPP’s strategic priorities, including raising awareness of the crucial work undertaken by MPP and its impact.
S/he is responsible for maintaining MPP’s online presence, with a specific attention to MPP’s interactive map and the day-to-day management of the MPP website. The Communications Officer also coordinates the department’s procurement of marketing materials, working with graphic designers and other consultants/agencies/firms as appropriate, to design and print MPP materials, as well as create new interactive and appealing tools.
The Communications Officer reports to the Communications Manager responsible for MPP’s digital communications.
- First point of contact for publishing content and maintaining the MPP’s website and responsible for developing/maintaining a media/stakeholder database.
- Main focal point for MPP’s marketing procurement processes and all elements of the production process for marketing materials, including organising copy, commissioning design and print, organising quotes and requests for proposals for MPP materials including brochures, banners, one-pagers, the annual report.
- Manage the translation of materials (Spanish, French and Russian) ensuring they are properly proofread, shared, and published.
- In charge of creating tailored designs such as email signature banners, flyers, save-the-date visuals, social media cards.
- Organise the creation, editing and distribution of our quarterly newsletters.
- Responsible for media monitoring and for sending a monthly press review to the full organisation.
- Support the team in writing, editing and distributing communications pieces including, but not limited to, paragraphs for the web and newsletter content.
- Support MPP’s outreach to traditional media and MPP’s communication on social media; providing media, website and social media analytics; implementing agreed plan and strategy.
- Support MPP’s presence at key events.
- Develop new videos, develop and maintain picture library.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Communications Manager and Head of Communications to implement MPP’s communications strategy.
The Communications Officer should have:
- A track record of outstanding performance in professional and academic settings.
- Excellent copy writing and presentation skills.
- Strong digital communications skills, with experience of writing for online audiences; maintenance of social media feeds (including drafting tweets and other social media messages); website and social media analytics.
- Proficiency in Excel and in working with information systems (with the purpose of maintaining databases).
- Experience in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator. Strong proficiency with InDesign to design small projects in-house preferred.
- Experience in iMovie or Premiere and editing videos.
- Experience liaising with senior management.
- Experience in basic maintenance of Macintosh and Windows operating systems.
- Knowledge of HIV, Hepatitis, intellectual property and/or the pharmaceutical industry a plus.
- At least 2 years of full-time work experience in a related field.
- Experience and knowledge in pharmaceuticals and/or public health with issues related to access to medicines and/or intellectual property is a strong asset.
Education and special training
- University degree
Use of Languages
- Fluency in written and spoken English is mandatory.
- Fluency in French a strong asset.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment.
Moreover, the Communications Officer will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Superb attention to detail.
- Organised, autonomous and able to work with short timelines.
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork.
- Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles.
- Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of the MPP.
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Communications Officer 2021” as reference in the subject line.
This position will be open until the right candidate is recruited. Applications will be reviewed and assessed on a continuous basis.