Call for applications – Project Manager – COVID-19
Short term contract: 12 months
Location: Geneva, Switzerland, with international travels
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
At the start of the COVID-19 crisis MPP offered to make its expertise and experience in public health licensing available to the international community and its Governance Board expanded its mandate to include any health technology that could be used to prevent, test or treat COVID-19. Currently MPP is in discussions with originator companies about possible licences, initially in the field of small molecule anti-viral therapeutics. It is also possible that there may be opportunities for licensing in vaccines, diagnostics or medical devices/equipment.
In this context, MPP is recruiting a project manager to manage its COVID-19 work.
The COVID-19 project manager will report to the Executive Director.
The COVID-19 project manager will be the focal point for MPP on all activities related to its work on COVID-19 technologies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the definition of the project scope and objectives;
- Liaise and coordinate with all MPP’s workstreams working on COVID-19 – Business Development, Legal, Policy and Communications – to ensure accountability, consistency and a central collection of information that is complete and daily updated;
- Monitor and track progress ensuring that all parts of MPP’s COVID-19 response are delivered on time;
- Assist in the development of MPP’s COVID-19 budget and then, in close cooperation with the Finance department, monitor it to ensure COVID-19 activities stay within budget;
- Liaise with the many different stakeholders needing to be kept informed of MPP’s progress, such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and its Member States, other multilateral organisations like WIPO, UNDP, UN Technology Bank, Global Fund, GAVI, CEPI, FIND;
- Collaborate with the Policy, Business Development and Legal teams on:
- the identification of priority COVID-19 technologies;
- engagement with the intellectual property (IP) holders;
- in-licensing of IP;
- out-licensing of IP to generic manufacturers;
- knowledge of the availability, and uptake, of licensed technologies.
- Work with the Patent Information Manager and the Scientific Managers to further develop the MPP patent landscape on COVID-19 technologies;
- Write reports, as required and in close cooperation with the Operations team, on MPP’s COVID-19 work.
The COVID-19 Project Manager must have the following attributes:
– Experience in managing projects relating to global health;
– Experience in engaging with all types of stakeholders, including industry, civil society, and public health organisations;
– Scientific understanding of viruses;
– Pharma industry exposure, with Business Development an asset;
– Experience in infectious diseases desirable.
Education and special training:
– Advanced university degree
Experience (length and nature):
– At least 10 years’ experience in a relevant sector (pharma industry or public health) with exposure to the other;
– Successful track record of multi-stakeholder’s project management.
Use of Languages:
Fluency in English is required.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment.
Moreover, the Project Manager COVID-19 will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of the Medicines Patent Pool
- Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles
- Able to think outside the box and be very flexible
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving capacities
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to email@example.com including “Project Manager – COVID 19” as reference in the subject line by 27 December 2020.