The Medicines Patent Pool is looking for a new Board Member
Required profile: Business Strategy Expert
1. Background information
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with fifteen patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals, a tuberculosis treatment, two long-acting technologies, two experimental oral antiviral treatments for COVID-19 and a COVID-19 serological antibody diagnostic test. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), the French Government, the Japanese Government, and the German Government.
2. Governance Board collective responsibilities
The Governance Board is the supreme governing body of the Foundation and possesses the highest and most extensive authority concerning decision-making and administration of the Foundation. In particular, the Governance Board:
- Appoints Governance Board members;
- Sets policies and strategies for the Foundation and adopts and amends its By-laws, subject to prior approval of the Supervisory Board, and other internal guidelines and procedures necessary for the administration and management of the Foundation;
- Sets operational guidelines, work plans as well as financial and business planning;
- Determines the employment terms, appoints and, if necessary, replaces the Executive Director;
- Establishes a framework for monitoring and periodic independent evaluation of performance and financial accountability of activities of the Foundation;
- Advocates for the Foundation and mobilises resources;
- Approves the annual accounts;
- Appoints the External Auditors;
- Appoints the outside legal counsel;
- Enters into, executes and/or authorises the execution of agreements as required to carry out the purposes of the Foundation.
More information on the roles and responsibilities of the Governance Board and its procedures is available in the Statutes and in the By-laws of MPP here.
3. Required profile of skills and expertise
In addition to the skills associated with the core responsibilities to be performed by the Governance Board collectively, MPP is looking for a Business Strategy Expert, who will have strong experience in strategic and business planning in the pharmaceutical industry – ideally both originator and generic – and will provide the Board with critical insights into pharmaceutical practices and strategies. Knowledge of biopharmaceuticals and biosimilars would be an asset. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of access to medicines issues and of the MPP model to improve access to affordable and appropriate essential medicines in LMICs. Candidates from LMICs are strongly encouraged to apply.
4. Additional information
Governance Board members serve in their personal capacity and appointments are made in accordance with article 7.2 of the MPP’s Statutes. Board members have to abide by MPP general policies. More on MPP policies
5. Time commitment
Board members serve a two-year term renewable twice. The work of the Governance Board is supported by four sub-committees and Board members are generally asked to serve on two committees each. Committees usually meet twice a year ahead of Board meetings for approximately 1-2 hours. Face to face two-days Board meetings are normally convened twice a year (all expenses paid) and teleconferences may be organised in between as required.
6. Application process
To apply please send your CV and covering letter outlining your relevant experience, expertise and interest in joining the Board to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Governance Board candidate nomination – Business Strategy Expert” by Friday, 27 May 2022 at midnight CEST. You may also suggest someone in writing to the same email address and using the same subject line.
A list of suitable candidates will be compiled by the MPP Management and reviewed by the Governance committee in the first instance. Interviews will take place before a Board decision can be made.
MPP is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity on its Board.