Call for Applications – Market Intelligence Manager
Location: Mumbai, India
Working time: 100%
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with 13 patent holders for 13 HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals, a tuberculosis treatment, two long-acting technologies, two experimental oral antiviral treatments for COVID-19 and a COVID-19 serological antibody diagnostic test. In 2020, MPP’s mandate was temporarily expanded to include COVID-19 treatments. In 2021 it was expanded further to include the licensing of technology with an initial focus on COVID-19 vaccines and pandemic preparedness. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MPP’s activities in COVID-19 are undertaken with the financial support of the Japanese Government, the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, and SDC.
For more information, please see our website, https://medicinespatentpool.org/
1. Position Overview
The main objective of the Market Intelligence Manager role is to support the BD in-licensing team in assessing targeted assets and priorities. This position will gather data and provide analytical reports to inform business cases, strategies, and assess feasibility of MPP model having a positive impact. This position will report to Head of Business Development.
2. Main Duties/Responsibilities
Help shape the strategy of the business development in-licensing team through competitive and market insights:
- Market/therapeutical area assessments:
- Pipeline analyses of both innovators and generics. Innovators: upstream products (ph2 –ph3) with potential for first line use; break through therapies in focused disease areas. Generics: pipelines and timelines for launch.
- This position will also support science and medical affairs team in their prioritization exercise (i.e., selecting MPP target for in-licensing)
- Product specific analyses:
- Product forecasts in LMICs. Need to know viability of an MPP intervention, potential sales volumes & estimation of price evolution. Understanding of procurement channels & government tenders which might contribute to uptake.
- Sales analyses of targeted asset & competitor products to inform market sizing assessment.
- Market intelligence on targeted company/product:
- Market/competitive intelligence: analyses to make informed decisions regarding patent holder & competitor behaviors, products, consumer trends, and market opportunities. Private/public market segmentation. A view into the activities of other pharma and MedTech companies in the same targeted asset class. Information on shifts in the market landscape, news on the commercialization of new products and pipeline products. Information to support Alliance Management Team (BD Unit) activities with generic commercialization plans.
- Information for business cases/strategy:
- Epi data analyses to inform business cases, market sizing, unmet public health needs, incidence/prevalence/mortality, etc.
- Assessment of feasibility of impact:
- Diagnostic availability/affordability/accessibility
- Healthcare infrastructure analyses: per targeted therapeutic area/territory, a thorough understanding of capable and qualified workforce, up-to-date data and information systems, agencies that can assess and respond to public health needs. Understanding of patient flow and referral systems. Identification of unique infrastructure challenges. Feasibility of uptake, barriers to uptake. Per targeted asset and territory, insurance/government coverage and potential out-of-pocket expenditure. Monitor what is happening in LMICs for the targeted therapeutic areas to ensure MPP has a strong understanding if an intervention can be successful.
- Generic landscaping (i.e., sampling generic interest, capabilities, activities).
- Investor specific analyses
- Landscaping major shareholders/ influential investors for a targeted pharmaceutical company
- Cross-functional collaboration with legal, operations, policy, communications where BD input is required to achieve MPP mission
- Any other ad-hoc requests by Head of Business Development
3. Education and Special Training
- Master’s degree in a scientific-related field is required. An MBA is a plus.
- Minimum 6-7 years of experience in pharmaceutical business analytics
- Must have commercial or consulting experience in rest of world markets (“LMICs” as per world bank income classification)
- Working knowledge of key commercial data sources to gather intelligence is required.
- Experience in NCDs (cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular, maternal health, etc.) is a plus.
- Proved ability to gather data, analyze data for insights, and form recommendations.
- A demonstrated track record of working effectively across functions/organizations is also required. Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Maintains full accountability over responsibilities; ability to work independently as well as in a highly collaborative environment within short timelines;
- Strong data visualization skills
- Strong learning agility to quickly establish sound understanding of a new disease area or master a new functional skill.
- Excellent communications skills – verbal, written, and presentation;
6. Use of Languages
- High proficiency in spoken and written English essential.
7. Personal Qualities
- MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment. Moreover, the Market Intelligence Manager will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health objectives of the MPP.
- Organisation, autonomy, and the ability to work under tight deadlines and in new areas.
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box.
- Energy and stamina to bring together a diverse range of stakeholders on new and challenging ideas.
- Ability to work in a team but with little supervision.
- Sensitivity to different cultures and ways of working.
- Friendly personality.
8. How to Apply
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send your CV and cover letter explaining your motivation to join MPP, relevant skills and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Market Intelligence Manager” as reference in the subject line by 7 June 2023.