Call for Applications – Head of Alliance Management and India Operations
Location: Mumbai, India with international and domestic travels up to 25% of the working time
Contract type: full time, permanent
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MPP’s activities in COVID-19 are undertaken with the financial support of the Japanese Government, the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, the German Agency for International Cooperation, and SDC.
For more information, please see our website, https://medicinespatentpool.org/
1. Main Duties/Responsibilities
The Head of Alliance Management and India Operations (based in Mumbai) works under the supervision of the Head of Business Development (based in Geneva)as part of a dynamic and international team ensures the highest standard of quality in managing the MPP sub- licences’ portfolio and the relationships with the relevant stakeholders. The incumbent will also lead the day-to-day operations of the India Liaison Office and supervise a team of highly skilled professionals.
Alliance Management (75%)
- Lead and manage the Alliance Management team (currently 2 members in Geneva and 4 members in Mumbai) and the
- Manage the Alliance Management activities related to in–Licensing (Originators – R&D only companies) and Out-Licensing (generic manufacturers)
- Ensure a timely and seamless fulfilment of contractual obligations towards Originators and Generics
- Oversee quarterly meeting reviews (Face to face and virtual) with the Originators and Generics manufacturers and reporting on those ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of data and information provided.
- Coordinate internal and external activities aiming at continuous improvement of data modelling and reporting on the impact of MPP’s interventions.
- Actively participate in the Expression of Interest process and lead the selection and due diligence of generic manufacturers.
- Runs consultations supporting the in-licensing team.
- Represents the Alliance management team at the Ethics & Compliance team
Strategic alignment (10%)
- Collaborate with technical and commercial partners as well as global health stakeholders (e.g. WHO, PEPFAR, Global Fund, etc.) to produce annual collaborative forecasts.
- Contribute to devising and implementing strategies to increase accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness of the activities performed by the Alliance Management team.
India Office operations (5%)
- Take full ownership of India office activities, ensuring compliance with local regulatory authorities.
- Supervise Mumbai Office administrative staff.
- Manage relationship with MPP’s bank, payroll, accounting services, auditors, and the relevant official authorities to ensure MPP Liaison office retain its license to operate in India and preserves the immaculate reputation.
- Represent MPP at relevant external national and international forums.
- Undertake Business travel necessary for the fulfilment of the business objectives and as agreed with the supervisor.
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably requested and assigned by the supervisor.
2. Education and Special Training
- Advanced university degree in a scientific field elated to healthcare, life sciences, or other relevant discipline.
- Business Administration degree desirable
- 12 – 15 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, in alliance management, sales and marketing, or business development.
- Experience and knowledge in public health, access to medicines highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing teams
- International work experience highly desirable
4. Knowledge and Competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of pharmaceutical product development process
- Understanding of drug registration regulatory processes
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to interpret commercial information, solve problems, recognize and mitigate risks.
- Excellent professional writing and presentation skills
- Excellent personal effectiveness, planning and organizational skills to oversee multiple projects simultaneously.
- Meticulous with exceptional level of precision,
- Ability to work strategically and creatively in a fast-moving environment
5. People Skills
- Ability to lead a diverse team of professionals and create a collaborative and positive work environment.
- Diplomacy with strong negotiations ability
- Cultural awareness and open-minded approach to different perspectives and work styles
6. Use of Languages
- Native-level fluency in English is required. Oral and written proficiency in a second language is a plus.
7. Personal Qualities
MPP’s richness lies in its staff – a dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment and demonstrate personal commitment to creating effective and lasting change in the areas of MPP’s work.
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Head of Alliance Management and India Operations” as reference in the subject line. There is no deadline: we will review applications on a rolling basis.