Call for applications – Business Development Manager – Out licensing
Location: Mumbai – Andheri East, Maharashtra, India, with frequent travels up to 25% of the working time.
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
The BDM – out licensing works under the supervision of the BDM – Head of Indian operations as part of a dynamic and international team to play a key role in strengthening the function’s operational and compliance capabilities. Responsibilities include:
- Manage alliances and requests with MPP licensees, ensuring the fulfilment of contractual obligations and maintenance of positive relationships:
- Consolidate quarterly data from licensees followed by preparation and distribution of quarterly reports within the BD team
- Monitor and analyse post-licensing progress of licensees from product development to commercialisation in LMICs
- Prepare presentations for quarterly review meetings with licensees and present the consolidated data in these meetings
- Always ensure compliance by licensees as obligated by the sublicences
- Maintain a proactive approach in dealing with licensees with a focus on increasing access to licensed products in LMICs
- Serve as key internal BD expert on product development and regulatory filings:
- Responsible for managing MPP’s licensed products portfolio
- Act as a focal point for sharing knowledge on generic product development landscape and national registrations
- Work closely with Technical and Regulatory Manager in understanding challenges faced by licensees in product development and registrations in LMICs and envisage the impact on market access
- Engage regularly with BD Scientific Manager to stay abreast on the latest scientific updates and regulatory guidelines within the scope of MPP
- Analyse market forecasts of licensed and potential candidates in LMICs and get inputs from licensees on such information, followed by internal dissemination
- Identify gaps in effective coverage of licensed products and coordinate with licensees to encourage product registrations in such countries
- Prepare semi-annual progress reports for MPP’s Governance Board and Funders
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of India Office and/or Head of Business Development, including:
- Assist Head of India Office in scoping generic partners for the African and Latin American regions in new disease areas and maintain an updated database of such companies
- Maintain data automation tool with external providers and ensure periodic upgrades as and when required
- Manage, mine, and analyse data sets for product development and regulatory filings
- Collaborate with the in-licensing team for pharmacovigilance reporting
- Responsible for tracking Stringent Regulatory and Global Fund-ERP Approvals of licensed products and communicating internally on a real-time basis
- Proactively obtain, analyse, and share industry intelligence within the BD team
- Cross-functional collaboration with legal, operations, policy, communications where BD input is required to achieve MPP mission
- Attend external meetings relevant to responsibilities and functions
- Solid understanding of the pharmaceutical industry
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical product development and regulatory filings process is required
- Alliance Management/Business Development experience would be a plus
- Ability to mine data and information, creativity to work with non-traditional data sets and qualitative information
- Experience in working on CRM portals
- Strong project management skills
Education and special training:
Advanced university degree (preferably in pharmacy or science).
Experience (length and nature):
Circa 5 years of relevant experience in the pharma/healthcare industry.
Use of Languages:
Native-level fluency in English is required.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment.
Moreover, the BDM – out licensing will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Organised, autonomous, and able to work within short timelines and new areas
- Meticulous and excellent attention to detail
- Quick learner
- A collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork
- Ability to work with relatively senior and more experienced people especially; those outside the direct sphere of influence
- Easily adaptable to different cultures and work styles
- Friendly personality
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to email@example.com including “BDM – out licensing” as reference in the subject line by 25 April 2020.