Call for applications – Business Development Manager
Location: Geneva, Switzerland, with frequent travels up to 25% of the working time.
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
The BDM works under the supervision of the BDM – Head of Alliance Management and play a key role in strengthening the alliance management function of the Foundation. Responsibilities include:
- Ensure alliance and request management with licensors, ensuring the fulfilment of contractual obligations and maintenance of positive relationships:
- Preparation of quarterly reporting obligations and ensure fulfilment of contractual duties
- Analyse and monitor post-licensing progress of generic drug manufacturers from product development through market launch and distribution to ensure low cost generics reach the market
- Act as focal point to answer any queries from licensors
- Responsible for overseeing trade dress management requests
- Model and assess MPP’s economic and public health impact; strategise new ways to communicate and measure MPP’s true value
- Develop market forecasts, financial models, and scenario analysis for targeted disease states in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) in collaboration with third parties to advise generic companies on their pipeline strategy
- Help launch and manage out-licensing tender processes with generic manufacturers, conduct due diligence
- Responsible for monitoring licensee compliance with contractual obligations including cross-verifying sales records with export data bases
- Perform other duties as assigned by Head of Business Development, including:
- Manage, mine, and analyse data sets
- Integrate market intelligence containing scientific and commercial updates on existing licensors, targets, disease states
- Cross-functional collaboration with legal, operations, policy, communications where BD input is required to achieve MPP mission
- Maintaining the MPP Board and other relevant stakeholders informed in all BD activities and communication of BD updates to funders as requested
- Attend external meetings relevant to responsibilities and functions
- Solid understanding of the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong understanding of the regulatory affairs environment (including in LMICs)
- Business development experience would be a plus
- Understanding of the field of HIV (adult and paediatric) and viral hepatitis (especially HCV)
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative modelling/forecasting skills (including excel power user)
- Ability to mine data and information; creativity to work with non-traditional data sets and qualitative information
- Strong project and time management skills
- Excellent data visualisation abilities
- Strategy development skills
Education and special training:
Advanced university degree preferably in one of the following fields: science, public health, economics, finance, or business administration
Experience (length and nature):
Circa 5 years of relevant experience.
Use of Languages:
Native-level fluency in English is required.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment.
Moreover, the BDM will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Organised, autonomous, and able to work within short timelines and new areas
- Extremely meticulous and excellent attention to detail
- Quick learner
- A collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork
- Ability to work with relatively senior and more experienced people especially; those outside the direct sphere of influence
- Easily adaptable to different cultures and work styles
- Friendly personality
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to email@example.com including “BDM – Geneva” as reference in the subject line by 6 December 2020.
Please note that due to the current health crisis, this recruitment process may be potentially delayed.