Location: Geneva, Switzerland with frequent travels up to 25% of the working time.
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with ten patent holders for thirteen HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals and a tuberculosis treatment. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which serves as sole funder for MPP’s activities in HIV, hepatitis C and tuberculosis. MPP is now expanding its activities to cover Essential Medicines, which requires engagement with many new stakeholders, including potential funders.
For more information, please see our website, https://medicinespatentpool.org/
The BDM – Head of Alliance Management works under the supervision of the Head of Business Development as part of a dynamic and international team to ensure the highest standard of quality in MPP^s relations with its different stakeholders.
- Lead the Alliance Management team (currently one staff in Geneva and three in Mumbai).
- Responsible for overseeing all the Alliance Management activities related to in–licensing (Originators – R&D only companies) and out-licensing (generic manufacturers).
- Ensure a timely and smooth fulfilment of all contract obligations regarding both originators and generics.
- Oversee quarterly meeting reviews (F2F meetings with generic manufacturers) and reporting on those. Subsequently ensure the timely and accurate reporting back to licensors.
- Support the development and implementation of feasibility studies (this support will be mainly relating to the evaluation of manufacturing capabilities amongst generic manufacturers).
- Coordinate the implementation of all the activities internally and externally leading to an accurate modelling and reporting on the impact of MPP’s interventions.
- Closely work with the MPP team in charge of the Expression of Interest process to manage the selection of generic manufacturers (out-licensing).
- Coordinate with technical and commercial partners as well as global health stakeholders (e.g. WHO) to annually produce collaborative forecast.
- Explore strategies to increase accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness of the activities performed by the Alliance Management team.
- Represent the team and/or MPP at external relevant Forums.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Business Development.
- Solid understanding of the drugs technology, development and commercialisation processes.
- Knowledge of the therapeutic and partnering landscape within a sector of interest to MPP is a plus.
- Proven ability to build and lead teams, drive business decisions, and manage multiple projects effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with/in developing countries (emergent markets) is a plus.
- Ability to permanently improve processes to use resources in an optimum way.
- Project management skills – Proven track record of successfully managing project implementation in multi-stakeholder environments.
- Good business instincts and fluency with business analytics and valuation methodologies.
Education and special training:
University degree in pharmacy, business administration or public health.
Experience (length and nature):
12 – 15 years of experience in the Pharmaceutical industry – Business Development position.
Use of Languages:
Native-level fluency in English is required. Oral and written proficiency in a second language is a plus.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Teamwork and Commitment.
Moreover, the BDM – Head of Alliance Management will need to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Demonstrable personal commitment to the public health goals of MPP.
- Energetic and Result-driven.
- Organisation skills, autonomy and ability to work within short timelines.
- Self-starter with a strong executive presence.
- Ability to work strategically and analytically, creatively and proactively in a problem-solving environment.
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork.
- Sensitivity to different cultures and work styles.
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognise yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V. to email@example.com including “BDM – Head of alliance Management” as reference in the subject line by 19 April 2020.
Please note that due to the current health crisis, this recruitment process may be potentially delayed.